martes, 7 de marzo de 2023

Faith in humanity 101: How to keep something that’s never been lost





It’s very common during these times to talk about people “restoring our faith in humanity”; and I’ve always found that interesting cause I have never lost faith in humanity. NEVER. I may have been disappointed sometimes by certain humans, but to generalize would be not acknowledging the inmense (and the majority) amount of good people inhabiting this Earth.


And I’ve had so many literally crazy situations were I have been benefited by random people’s good will that It honestly would be hypocritical to not recognize how much good there is in this world. And I’m not using the words “literally crazy” lightly (I never use literally lightly). As many people who know me know, I am actually a little bit “crazy”. Not to reinforce the stereotype, but I do have mental health issues that have some times made act in a crazy wreck less manner. To name a few, I’ve gotten lost at 3 am in foreign country (and continent); I’ve travelled without money to pay the trip hoping for a miracle to happen and have been given money two times by bus drivers. I’ve talked to many many many strangers at night, walking by myself as a woman in a country like mine where that is not a very safe or smart thing to do…


Nothing has ever happened to me. Well…one time an actual crazy lady punched me (in my arm, nothing too serious) at 12 am in a bus that I took cause I was too cheap to pay for an Uber and I kindly refused her ask for money to help her “supposed sick kid”. You could tell the woman had some mental issues or was drugged or something. She was very agressive and people who actually gave her some coins you could tell had done it just to avoid problems. So I actually felt bad for her, but I wasn’t going to give her money I didn’t know how she’d spent…But that’s the only bad thing to happen to me.


You can ask me for those times in the buses. One was in Chile, and the other one traveling from Barcelona to Madrid after I had lost my wallet. That second time was even crazyer cause I had payed the bus ticket but I didn’t have money to take any transport arriving; I also hadn’t slept the night before, so I was really really tired, and at the end of the trip the lady driver gave me an euro so I could pay for the metro entrance. 

And during that same trip when we stopped to eat something, people actually bought food for me, cause they heard I asked the woman in the shop we stopped on for a glass of water, since I didn’t have my wallet and couldn’t afford anything else. It was truly… overwhelmingly moving to feel the care of these random strangers.


And as you know, my @proyectogratitud as given me so many (SO MANY) good experiences with strangers and their kindness I could keep on listing situations for hours…

(I’m also pretty sure it’s dharma, also know as good karma cause I really make an effort to be kind) 



So I invite you to stop losing faith in humanity. There’s nothing to lose, nor to be found, cause it has always been there. Humans have change throughout history, but kindness as always been a constant in most human relationships. And to not realize that, is to be missing one of the most beautiful things we share as humans: the ability to care for each other, to work together and to purposely help each other when in need. Even in difficult times as wars through human history, we’ve always found ways to be kind, and that’s a fact. So don’t forget it. You just have to look at the glass half full to realize it…

1 comentario:

  1. Humm, casi me preocupo tu relato si no fuera porque voy leyendo de lo mas nuevo a lo mas antiguo, pero no esperes llegar a vivir situaciones poco favorables para tomarle el peso a estar mas atenta, esta bien tener a favor la disposición y conciencia de la gente aunque sin conocerte algo así puede preocupara a cualquier lector, cuidate ;)

    ResponderEliminar